In the business world today, an online presence is a must. When starting a business blog, the first step is finding a great domain name. Businesses experience plenty of benefits from creating websites, blogs, and social media pages. With so many businesses pursuing the same goals, it’s important to have a name that stands out and draws the attention of your target audience. It should also stand out in Google searches and SEO results.
What Makes a Good Blog Name?
There are over 500 million blogs on the internet that cover thousands of fields and interests. For this reason, naming your blog can be a daunting task. Choosing the right blog and domain name is also essential for branding purposes. Your domain name is basically your address on the internet that is part of your URL. This is how customers can find you.
Your name should then achieve some of the following:
- Your business blog and domain name should hint at what your blog is about. This can be related to your field (e.g automotive, crafting, etc.)
- It should be catchy and easy to remember
- Your name should be something that you intend to use long term. In other words, you can use it to build your brand and marketing strategies for years to come.
- It should appeal to your target audience or customer market
- Scan the names of your competitors’ blogs and figure out how you can stand out from the bunch
How to Name Your Blog
Putting some thought into the naming of your business blog is a wonderful and creative process. Here are some methods that can help you think up a great name:
Pull inspiration from the world around you
A phrase or word from your favorite book or movie can spark your imagination. We are often inspired by the things we read or hear. Go for a long walk, drive around your neighborhood , or sit in your favorite café and observe. You may have a “Eureka!” moment and suddenly think of the best name for your business blog. This process can be deeply personal and your name will actually mean a lot to you. This can even cause you to be more invested in achieving a successful blog.
Use a Thesaurus
Flipping through the pages of a dictionary or thesaurus can also be a great way to find your blog name. Once you have a blog theme in mind, looking up words related to it can help. You will also come across new words and meanings that may be relevant to your business.
Try a humorous approach
Using puns or humor for your blog name is another way to stand out from the crowd. If the tone of your blog is more on the causal side then humor is an option. Try stringing words together to create a catchy title. For example, “I Can Haz Cheeseburger” and “Fit Bottomed Girls” are existing sites that are well known and stand out.
Puns based on your niche can also have a comedic twist. For example, “Dollars and Sense” is a site that provides content about economics.
Create a memorable unique name
Combine different names for a quirky title. Use abbreviations or alliterations that can connect well to your blog theme. You can even consider using a word or name from a different language. Choosing an exotic name can make your blog seem luxurious and classy. In some cases, choosing a name that has nothing to do with what your business is about can also work. A great example of this is the electronics brand ‘Apple’.
Use an online name generator
There are many name generators online. These generators have different categories, themes, styles. You just have to select what applies to you and your business and with the click of a button, a list of eligible names will be generated. You can even type in a word or phrase and the generator will run it through its database and produce a list of potential titles.
Stick to the basics
When all else fails, stick to the basics. Use your own name and brand yourself. For instance, what if your name is Julie and your business is based on DIY and Crafts? You can simply use Julie’s Crafts, DIY with Julie, and so forth. Keeping it simple has its perks. Customers might find it easier to remember. It can also have a more personal connection to your brand which can be endearing to many consumers.
Check Name availability
- Most domain hosting sites will indicate if the name you choose is already taken. Business registries and copyright searches can also help you pinpoint the availability of your business blog name.
- What should you do if your name is already taken? If the name you want is unavailable consider changing the spelling to tweak it. It’s also a good idea to have more than one name option. This way if you can’t use one name, you have a back up to fall back on.
- Using something other than ‘.com’ can also help you keep your original choice. Try going with ‘.org’. ‘.net’ and other alternatives.
Choosing an appropriate name for your business blog doesn’t have to be stressful. Take your time and put some thought into it. While it is important to find a name that suitably represents what your blog is about, the actual content matters more.
Building a niche audience, and a loyal reader and consumer base is what will determine the success of your business blog. Go for a name that you feel certain about and are sure to use and brand in the long term. If your content and service are great and your target audience is impressed, your business’s blog name could become a household brand.