Tax Preparation for Freelancers & Self-Employed Entrepreneurs

Experience the benefits of working with America’s leading virtual accounting firm on tax filing for freelancers, self-employment tax deductions, and more.


Who is Self-Employed or Freelance?

  • What qualifies someone to file taxes as self-employed or freelance?
  • What commission requirements do they need to meet?
  • Which forms and documentation are needed?

Finding the answers to these critical questions can be confusing, which is why 1-800Accountant is here to help.


Tax & Accounting Best Practices for Self-Employed & Freelancers

Stay Informed on Every Freelance Tax Form Self-Employed Individuals and Freelancers Must File

Tax Advisory

Federal Form W-9

Form W-9 provides your Taxpayer Identification Number to the person who must file an information return with the IRS.

Tax Advisory

Schedule C (Form 1040)

Schedule C (Form 1040) reports income or loss from a business you operated or a profession you practiced as a sole proprietor.

Tax Advisory

Schedule SE (Form 1040)

Schedule SE (Form 1040) calculates the tax due on net earnings from self-employment. The Social Security Administration uses the information from Schedule SE to identify your benefits under the social security program.

Tax Advisory

Form 1040-ES

Form 1040-ES calculates your estimated taxes.

Tax Advisory

1099 Forms

1099 Forms is a group of forms documenting payments made by your small business.

Tax Advisory


Use Form 1099-MISC to file for each person you have paid during the year.

Tax Advisory


1099-K is an information return used to report certain payment transactions to improve voluntary tax compliance.

Freelancer & Self-Employed Accounting FAQs

Freelancers aren’t required to register as a business but open themselves up to numerous advantages when they do. Make your freelance business official via our free (+ state fees) entity formation process.

Typically, you are required to file an annual return and pay an estimated tax quarterly. You have to file an income tax return if your net earnings from self-employment are $400 or more. If your net earnings from self-employment were less than $400, you still have to file an income tax return if you meet any other filing requirement listed in Form 1040 and 1040-SR.

Small businesses and the self-employed are taxed differently, even though they can be similar in structure.

There are many things self-employed individuals can write off as tax deductions, including mileage, phone services, home office deductions, and more.

Get started image

Speak to our expert tax professionals about freelancer & self-employed accounting today!

Get the most out of your freelancer & self-employed business by working with the professionals at 1-800Accountant. All it takes is a quick call to get started!

Subscribe to our exclusive newsletter

for tax tips, insights, and more, curated to help your business grow.