What Does It Mean to Have a 509(a) Status?

June 24, 2019
Main post image

Organizations that are classified as 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status are further classified by the government as one of five types under section 509(a) of the Internal Revenue Code. These categories include private foundations and four different types of public charities. According to the IRC, any organization that does not classify as a public charity is designated as a private operating foundation or private non-operating foundation.

While private foundations typically receive money from a small number of donors, public charities are organizations that receive a significant amount of their revenue from the public or government. To remain a public charity, at least one-third of revenue must be from a broad base of public support. When you complete Form 1023 to file as for 501(c)(3) status, you’ll be asked questions in Part X that the IRS will use to classify your organization.

The Subdivisions

  • 509(a)(1) – public-supported charities including churches, schools and hospitals
  • 509(a)(2) – organizations that receive support from a combination of gifts and fees for their exempt services
  • 509(a)(3) – “supporting organizations” that receive income from a wider range of sources
  • 509(a)(4) – organizations that operate for testing for public safety

Work with the Experts

1-800Accountant is a virtual accounting firm merging the convenience of technology with live support from real professionals, making taxes easy and personable for individuals and small businesses. Focus on growing your bottom line while our team of accountants, certified public accountants, and enrolled agents perform the heavy lifting – tax advisory and preparation, payroll, bookkeeping, and audit defense. For professional, year-round services at an affordable price, get in touch with us and schedule your consultation with America’s leading small business accounting firm.

This post is to be used for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, business, or tax advice. Each person should consult his or her own attorney, business advisor, or tax advisor with respect to matters referenced in this post. 1-800Accountant assumes no liability for actions taken in reliance upon the information contained herein.